Monday, July 20, 2026

Table By The Door

Over the years I've tried to dress up the wall next to the kitchen door. 

I've had the tiered plant stand there, I tried the large white cement colored container with a shrub in it (cuphea once, a failed blueberry once). I put the little bistro chair there. I'm trying to keep it simple.
 

It's blank stucco, punctuated by the hose faucet, although the hoses are around the corner. This corner is our entrance to the back yard, down the walk. 

With the rosemary gone it looks utilitarian. It needs something. But not another large pot or a collection of containers.

Plants would fill out the area next to the chair and hide the hose connections a bit in summer, but I'm creating a collection of containers right across from it by the garage door stoop. 

I don't want to keep solving garden issues with more plants

And this is a hot sunny site, with reflecting stones and bright hot wall. It would be easy to water with the hose right there, but I don't want more pots to tend every day.

On a whim, before I place the black mesh table on the patio to replace the armchairs, I put it next to the door, with the bistro chair. 

That created a vignette that seems nice. Useful, too, providing a place to put things coming and going from the kitchen door. 

It visually fills the blank wall and brings the eye toward the door, not around the corner so much.


But wait. 

I found a southwest tiled table on Wayfair and it would be perfect. Smaller, 24 inches across so the size of our living room end tables. 

Note: After I ordered, I noted the table is not supposed to be left outside in cold  --
Not sure how cold or if that matters? I may have to bring it in during winter?

The black metal table is intended to go on the patio. This little mosaic bistro table would fit perfectly and dress up the corner without creating more pots to water and nothing to see in winter.


I worry a bit about having so many little one and two person sitting areas -- the red chairs and table on the deck, patio chairs and table in the alcove, and now this set, all close to each other in my tiny yard and courtyard. 

But I like the way this dresses up the blank wall, distracts from the faucet while keeping it accessible, and offers a little welcome spot as you enter from the gate.

it's $150. I was happy with staging my alcove furniture without spending any money, and solving the empty spot by the garage door where the mesh table had been by plopping pots there. But this doesn't seem like too much for such a nice upgrade to the kitchen door.