Friday, July 3, 2026

I Bought Plants

I went to Newman's to buy fertilizer today -- some plants are looking a little pale and needy. I can manage to fill the can and add the fertilizer and get it to the gardens if I work slowly and wear the boot. 

But look what I cam home with:


What was I thinking? Planting in July? All this? Can I even get these potted and planted?

Jim wanted to get out and drive around a bit so he took me to Newman's and then we actually went to Payne's and I got even more stuff.

I got annuals:
  • 3 deep purple Angelonias for a pot -- annuals for some color
  • 2 silver dichondras for the white bowl under the tickseed I just transplanted there.
  • A white lobelia for the front portal urn.

I got two penstemons:
  • 2 nice big quart Rocky Mountain penstemons. I'll put one behind the little Blue Profusion sage in the circle garden and one next to the yellow yarrow in the driveway strip.

I got ground covers: 
  • 3 little Coral Reef ground cover sedums for the moss rock border.
  • A couple good sized Blue Spruce creeping sedums for the moss rock border.
  • Several large Angelina golden sedums, some for the ajuga patch, some for the moss rock border (big quart plants, will divide).
  • I even got a very large Turkish speedwell* to divide and plant along the moss rock border.
 * mislabeled, it's actually Veronica lewisii, not
 oltensis, and isn't so happy in hot dry crevices


Whew. It just felt so normal to be walking in shoes plant shopping. I had written off the season except for weeding, trimming, moving a couple small things around and doing the watering.

But now . . .