Thursday, September 10, 2026

Coffee in the Garden

When I sit in the garden at Andrea's sipping coffee and visiting, I don't really look at individual plants, I just feel composed and comfortable surrounded by plants and pots and seeing the whole. 

When I have coffee in my own garden each morning I look at each plant, each gap, the status of things yet to grow full, the adjustments to make, the tasks to plan.

There are times when that kind of constant assessment is necessary, but when I am in my yard on a quiet cool morning I just want to sense the whole. I wish I could.

I'm often pleased with what I observe in my garden, it's not all anxiety producing or disappointing. But even the pleasurable views and lovely sights are focused on individual plants.

I guess it's the difference between her mature, settled garden and my garden becoming what I want. Will maturity change how I experience it?