Sunday, August 2, 2026

I Went to Lowe's . . .

. . .  and spent $160 on some things to put around the patio. Now that the furniture is more open with the teak chairs and coffee table gone, and now that I can walk pretty well in shoes, I wanted to dress up the patio a bit. 

I got a big pot of blackeyed Susans, big and bloomy. I never could get them to grow in the ground for me, but in a pot it should do well. The tag says Rudbeckia fulgida, which is what I had tried to grow, but it doesn't look the same. 

It is actually Rudbeckia hirta, based on my research. Denver Daisy.


It should be nice and bloom well in a container, but it's a short lived tender perennial here I think. I'll see if it overwinters.

I also got six little bellflowers that are compact and sweet. They're in the two small terracotta troughs in front of the slider and I added a bowl of ajugas that I dug up. It's bright shade all day until late afternoon when they're in direct sun for a bit. 

It looks a little staged, but the plants are colorful and nice enough.


These too are tender and may not come back. They are Campanula medium Appeal Deep Blue.

Lowe's had big robust plants labeled "annual sage" but the tag said Salvia farinacae, which is the Texas mealycup sage I've been wanting to plant more of around the circle garden. 

I got four. I'll put a couple with the ones I have to make a fuller planting, one as an upright accent behind the bench with the blanketflowers and one in a pot by the deck. 

The ones I have already are 'Texas Violet' and that is a hardier cultivar, although still a little iffy for here.

The Lowe's plants did not have a cultivar name. I'll plant them in the ground and see if they are similar to what I have or at least as hardy.

Finally, a tropical for the brown urn in front of the fence. Crossandra Orange Marmalade. No idea, but I liked the clear orange flowers. 

This one won't winter over of course.